Find great places to stay, eat, shop in Granada Spain
Alhambra Granada Spain
Then the Moorish king of Grenada renovated the tourist place Alhambra in the 11th century. In 1333 the fortress tuned into a royal palace by Yusuf I, Sultan of Granada. Alhambra is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Granada, Spain. After the Reconquista (long series of wars between Christian & Muslim moors), the Alhambra’s mosque turned to a church, the Parador de Granada was built.
Amazing facts of Alhambra:
- Alhambra is on al-Sabika Hill, on the southeastern border of the city of Granada.
- The fort sprawls about 740 meters in length and 205 meters in its width.
- During the rule of Abdullah Ibn Muhammad (888-912) in Spain, the Alhambra was seen, especially during the battle between Muladies and the Arabs.
- River Darro surrounds the fort on the northern side, the valley of Al-Sabika encompasses on the southern side and Street Cuesta del Rey Chico on the eastern side.
- Before the catholic Monarchs conquered the Nasrid Dynasty, the Alhambra palace was home to the Spain Emirs until 1492.
- Almost all the building parts of the fort were whitewashed. Today, due to the heavy sunlight, the fort appears as reddish.
- The full name of Alhambra is “Qal’at al-Hambra” which means “The Red Fortress”
- Mohammed Ben Al-Hamar’s ordered to construct the Watch Tower (Torre de la Vela) and the Keep (Torre Del Homenaje) of Alhambra
- A blend of Islamic (Initial) and Christian (later additions) styles decorates the fort’s architecture.
- This is a UNESCO listed world heritage site
- Thirteen towers, some defensive and some providing vistas for the inhabitants are available in the fort.
- The castle of Alhambra came under the city’s area, within the parapet, in the 9th century.
- Around 8500 tourists visit the Alhambra every day, 3 million tourists visit every year and it is the most visited monument.
The tickets cost & availability in Alhambra:
Advance booking is good due to the great demand of tickets and restriction to the number of visitors per day. You must access the monument visiting areas within the schedule on the basis of the type of the tickets purchased. You can only access the places at the scheduled time. If you fail to visit at that time, you will never get an entry inside the spots. The tickets vary from place to place and it also depends on the age, time of visit. The opening hours are of two sessions as morning and afternoon. Alhambra opening times varies from months and sessions. During the Easter week, the feast of Corpus Christi and Christmas lighting will be in the palace till 06.00.
The best time to travel:
The best time to travel Alhambra, Spain is spring season due to the good climate. April, May, June, September, and October months are the best time to travel to Spain. Summer will be prickly hot. July and August are with full of crowd and they are picnic months of Alhambra.
The best sightseeing places in and around Alhambra:
It is one of the oldest parts of the Alhambra castle. It was built before the Muslims arrived in Granada. Mohammed I built the current complex, who constructed the parapets around the previous castle, defenses and three new towers such as The Broken Tower (Torre Quebrada), the Keep (Torre del Homenaje) and the Watch Tower (Torre de la Vela). Alcazaba turned read fortress where the king established the royal residence. Until the completion of the palace his son, Mohammed II also had his residence in the Alcazaba. From then onwards, the Alcazaba let out only for military purposes.
It occupied the slopes of the Hill of the sun from where the tourists can have a complete view over the city and the valleys of rivers Genil and Darro. There are different names for the place as Governor’s Garden, the Architect’s Garden, the Vegetable Garden of the Gypsy Festivity Organizer etc. The kings of Granada kept the Generalife as a leisure place and they used to get away from the official affairs of the palace.
This tower stands behind the Palace of the Lions to which a door connects the tower. There is a note that the Kings of Granada were buried here. However, the cemetery is outside the palace, so that the Rauda must be its main entrance.
Museum of the Alhambra:
The Museum of the Alhambra is on the south side of the ground floor of the Palace of Charles V (Palacio de Carlos V). It contains seven halls. The first hall houses with a thematic exhibition and other halls are in chronological order. It was created in 1870 to guard huge archaeological testimonies collected by the Provincial Commission of Monuments. In 1994 he held the post in the Council of the Alhambra and Generalife. There is a free access to Spanish and other European Union citizens accredited. Other countries have to pay 150 Euros.
Where to accommodate in Alhambra?
Since Alhambra is an ancient architectural site there are many hotels, restaurants, resorts, lodges are available from the mid-budget to luxury level and some of the accommodations never fail for antiquity. Alhambra tourism encompasses many spas, relaxing centers to rejuvenate during their visits. Do not forget to visit such a prehistoric place while planning for