Navy Pier â€“ a thrilling getaway
Navy Pier is a huge pier on Lake Michigan close to the Chicagoâ€™s downtown. The tourists cannot attain satisfaction unless they trip to this wonderful place. It sprawls in 50-acre playground where Navy Pier restaurants, shops, entertainment, museums are present. It has been the perfect place for the family to have their fun time here.
What to do at Navy pier?
Navy Pier Ferris wheel of 150-feet is a thrilling activity here. When the tourists ride on the Ferris wheel they can feel their pounding heartbeat. The ride gives the Chicago city and Lake Michigan views perfectly.The Ferris wheel is open around the year.
Rest of the entertainments are Remote control boats, Whimsical muscle carousel, Wave Swinger lift-and-twirl ride, and miniature golf course.
There are many educational wonders for kids at the Chicago Children’s Museum. Lively interactive shows namely Dinosaur Expedition, the Kovler Family Climbing Schooner, BIG Backyard, Inventing Lab and Dinosaur Expedition are the available activities here.
Navy Pier IMAX Theater is the largest movie screen in Chicago. The boating season is available during the warmer months.
Chicagoâ€™s Shakespeare Theater, a seven-story complex entertains the tourists throughout the year.
Its construction was initiated in May 1914 and it was opened to the public in 1916. During that time period, it was the largest pier. The pier has a shipping shape and being an entertainment area. In the first decade, the Navy Municipal Pier attracted many visitors and ships. During the First World War the military used the place for their facility.
Navy Pier attraction
- With a height of 100 ft high vaulted roof structure has been an ice skating area during the wintertime. The same area is being a 1500-seat theater during the summer season.
- A helium-filled air balloon in the Navy Pier floats over the lakefront. 18 passengers can only travel in the balloon as visitors to view the Chicagoâ€™s skyline from a 350ft height.
- Many boat trips initiate the journey from this place.
- Architecture cruises and water taxis are also available. The tourists can take a romantic dinner on the cruises.
Navy Pier events
- The pier turns a wonderland during Winter Wonder Fest on every winter. This place avails indoor funs such as rides and skating in ice for all ages.
- Chicago Flower and Garden Show are the special events in the spring season.
- During the summer months, bike, boat riding and a Segway tour are available in here. Free fireworks adorn the place on every Wednesday and Saturday night in the summer season.
- Halloween activities, fireworks and October fest celebrations are some more activities in the Navy Pier.
Official website of Chicago Navy Pier: www.navypier.org